Moffat Mission in Kuruman was started by Robert Moffat of the London Missionary Society in the 1820s.
The Mission property includes a variety of buildings including the old Homestead where Robert Moffat and his wife, Mary Moffat lived (and which housed David Livingstone for a time), the foundations of a schoolroom built in 1829, the Moffat Church which was completed in 1838, some 50 years before the town of Kuruman was laid out, as well as other historic buildings. The Moffat Church was designed to seat 800 people, and was fully restored in 1938 to mark its centenary.
Robert Moffat translated the Bible into Tswana (the vernacular language of the indigenous inhabitants of the region) and then printed these Bibles on his own printing press. This cast iron printing press is on display at the Moffat Mission, along with numerous other historical artefacts like an ox wagon, a sundial from 1831 and a bronze relief of Robert Moffat.
A small conference venue has recently been built on the property.
There is a nominal entrance fee, payable at the Bookshop. On days when the Bookshop is not open, visitors are requested to drop their entrance fee into a "trust box".
Tel 053 712 1352 or 053 712 2645
View Visit Kuruman in a larger map